I have a sweet tooth… In all honesty… everyone who knows me, knows I have a major sweet tooth! So what does a girl do when almost all sugars are off limits?! *HELP*
- Deal with it – eat more fats and salty snacks
- FIND the exception to the no-sweets-allowed-rule :D
I do a little bit of both ;) however I NEEDDDD my sweet fix!
My most guiltless (Candida guiltless is what I refer to with this) dessert has to be my Homemade sugar free lemon Jelly!
I think it’s about time I share this yummy treat with you! It’s great as a snack or dessert but you could even have it for breakfast if you’d want – SO clean and healthy :D
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- 20 grams gelatin; soaked in cold water >> ready to go
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- the juice from 1 lime
- the flesh from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- 3 cups water
- sweeteners to taste; I used 1/2 cup xylitol and 2 tsp stevia extract. TASTE the liquid after all is combined! If the liquid doesn’t taste to your liking, the jelly won’t be any good either :)
Start by heating 1,5 cups of water in a saucepan and once that comes to a simmer add the gelatin — slowly one piece at a time and whisk to combine. Once the gelatin and water is combined, take from the heat and add the lemon/lime juice and the extra 1,5 cups of cold water. Stir well. Add the sweeteners. Stir again. Add the zest & lemon flesh and… You’ve guessed it… Stir again ;-) Pour into individual ramekins or one big glass bowl. Let it set in your fridge for approximately 3 hours.
I love to serve some fresh whipping cream with this, coconut milk and/or full fat Greek yogurt. The richness and creaminess goes perfectly with the sweet and tart lemony jelly!
- I bet you could make this with agar agar for a vegan version!
- Add different kinds of fruit juice and/or chunks of fruit for different flavor combo’s! For Candida Overgrowth reasons… I’d be careful with sweet fruits though. Pineapple and/or coconut water (that combination is THE BOMB BTW!!!) gives a great jelly too!