I have a sweet tooth… In all honesty… everyone who knows me, knows I have a major sweet tooth! So what does a girl do when almost all sugars are off limits?! *HELP*
- Deal with it – eat more fats and salty snacks
- FIND the exception to the no-sweets-allowed-rule
I do a little bit of both however I NEEDDDD my sweet fix!
My most guiltless (Candida guiltless is what I refer to with this) dessert has to be my Homemade sugar free lemon Jelly!
I think it’s about time I share this yummy treat with you! It’s great as a snack or dessert but you could even have it for breakfast if you’d want – SO clean and healthy
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- 20 grams gelatin; soaked in cold water >> ready to go
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- the juice from 1 lime
- the flesh from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- 3 cups water
- sweeteners to taste; I used 1/2 cup xylitol and 2 tsp stevia extract. TASTE the liquid after all is combined! If the liquid doesn’t taste to your liking, the jelly won’t be any good either
Start by heating 1,5 cups of water in a saucepan and once that comes to a simmer add the gelatin — slowly one piece at a time and whisk to combine. Once the gelatin and water is combined, take from the heat and add the lemon/lime juice and the extra 1,5 cups of cold water. Stir well. Add the sweeteners. Stir again. Add the zest & lemon flesh and… You’ve guessed it… Stir again Pour into individual ramekins or one big glass bowl. Let it set in your fridge for approximately 3 hours.
I love to serve some fresh whipping cream with this, coconut milk and/or full fat Greek yogurt. The richness and creaminess goes perfectly with the sweet and tart lemony jelly!
- I bet you could make this with agar agar for a vegan version!
- Add different kinds of fruit juice and/or chunks of fruit for different flavor combo’s! For Candida Overgrowth reasons… I’d be careful with sweet fruits though. Pineapple and/or coconut water (that combination is THE BOMB BTW!!!) gives a great jelly too!